Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Orange & Blue Beauty

Orange and Blue Beauty
I am so happy I made it in time to link up with Connie for Tuesday linky! I have finished my largest quilt to day! This quilt is inspired by Bonnie Hunter's Blue Ridge Beauty! I chose not to lay it out in a traditional barn raising I found another picture that inspired the layout, (however she used 120 blocks and I have 196!!)
I made this quilt for one of my dearest friend and her Hubby. They are Illini fans and I decided that blue and orange would be a great combo for this quilt!

Mother nature!!
Mother nature was NOT cooperating with me for the photo op this morning! We have 40-45 MPH winds gusts and this is what I got most of the time!! Oh well! 


Back

I let my friend choose the backing for her quilt (however, I still don't know if she realizes the quilt is for her!!)! I love the fun butterflies she chose to pop down the middle! We purchased all that they had so it was only a small pop!!I also found a flaw in the orange material as I was doing the final pressing (of course I had the WHOLE back pieced!) SO I patched it with a butterfly!! Maybe I should have put a few more on there to make it not so obvious! But NO! I only think of that now!
I quilted the body of the quilt with a flowering clam shell in orange thread and LOVE how it came out! I did however have a problem with the borders and think they are a little wobbly. I'm still learning on my new long arm and think it turned out well! 
Quilting close up


OOPS!!
 My friend also chose the binding, however, I have to say we all know I LOVE it because the two things I LOVE when it comes to binding... Bias stripes, and polka dots!! You add the two together and I am OVER THE MOON! Even if it is blue! ;0)
Binding

More binding
The quilt finished at about 90 x 90, so plenty to cuddle under! Honeyman however pointed out to me that the largest quilt I have made so far is for our shortest friends! I love that man!!
I hope everyone has a great day!!
See you soon!
Till then...
Quilt on friends!!
Josie

10 comments:

  1. Woo!!! It looks amazing, Josie! What a fun quilt. I love orange a blue-- such a vibrant combo. And the binding is perfect. Nice save on the orange with the butterfly, too! Congrats on another awesome finish!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning quilt! I love the binding, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blue and orange really play off each other and make this an exciting quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I am participating in a 2.5" square swap and soon will be getting 900, 2.5" squares to go with my 100 and hopefully I can do something lovely with them like yours! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI!!!!! Lucky friend!!!!! Your quilt is beautiful!!!! I love the orange and blue!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous quilt! And I love the binding - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on a wonderful finish. Thank you for letting me know about your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a neat quilt Josie and big!!! Love the colors. Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful!!! Great choice of colors:)
    My best,
    Gosia

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Quilt and the backing are wonderful. Love it!
    Greeting Guilitta

    ReplyDelete